A guest post by Alon Peer
Daniel Doezema offers a script that helps migrating WordPress to a new domain: http://dan.doezema.com/2010/04/wordpress-domain-change/.
I’ve added Multi Site (MU) support to that script, which includes extra DB updates, and is available for download here: http://github.com/alonpeer/WordPress-Domain-Changer.
Just follow Daniel’s instructions exactly, with the following additions:
- When filling out the form with all the website’s information, also check the Multi Site checkbox at the bottom.
- After you run the script you must also update your wp-config.php and update the constant DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE with the new domain.
Notice: My MU version wasn’t tested a lot, so BACKUP ALL YOU DATA before running it. I’d also love to hear your comments and bug reports so I can perfect it.
UPDATE (November 2nd 2010):
A new version was released, which includes better MU detection, bug fixes and better UI. Thanks to Daniel for the help!
Some debugging is still required, hint hint, nudge nudge.
Leave your comments below, or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dalton Maag (The company that designs the Ubuntu Font) published a first trial of the Hebrew design.
It looks real nice, but there is still a lot of work.
It’s published on the Canonical Design Blog – http://design.canonical.com/2010/09/intial-hebrew-trials/.
I commented there, and I urge other to comment too.
I started the Hebrew for the Ubuntu Font project with a lot of enthusiasm and got great support from the local community, but I lost my drive and I must back off from this project for the time being.
Three reasons –
First, as far as I can tell the design and development is not yet open, and the sharing of knowledge and work process is not clear to me.
Second, Work, Work, Work… I can’t give this project the attention it deserves and don’t have the time to do redundant work (As long as the work process is not well defined, I can’t be sure I don’t).
Third, No offense DM people, but judging from some of the public talks I read it doesn’t feel like the design is going in a direction I want to take part of at this stage. It feels like there is no real understanding of Hebrew typography in the process (Again – No pun intended, just a personal hunch) and also I felt that there was a bit of a disturbance when I announced my little project, someones pride got hurt or something. I felt it between the lines in some of the correspondence I had.
I don’t want this.
I want to wait till the smoke clears, maybe DM will give us the best font ever, maybe not.
This font will eventually be released under an open license, and if we won’t like it, we will change it. Or create another. Or just accept it.
Whatever the community will go for.
Till then, I’ll try to keep track and have my say in the design team’s blog and the issues on launchpad, but I won’t actively design my own version.
A guest post by Alon Pe’er
Just like any good open source project or feature, it started with a personal wish of mine to see it implemented.
The Backup and Migrate contributed Drupal module is one of the most useful ones out there. And while it has great support for various backup destinations, Dropbox wasn’t one of them. Until now.
Following a request by one of my clients, making me wish I could do it in my own projects as well, I sat down and looked at the module’s API as well as the Dropbox API and available libraries.
I bumped into 2 possible solutions:
Although the dropbox-php provides a full solutions using the Dropbox OAuth protocol, it relies on more than one extensions and packages, and even though I have them available, it’s more than likely that fellow Drupalers won’t have them on their server.
So I went with the simple Dropbox Uploader library that only lets me upload files to Dropbox (all I really need, really).
The patch is available on Drupal.org (for Drupal 6 at the moment).
I’d love to get feedback regarding performance, security etc. Also, if you know the dropbox-php project and want to create an integration with it as well, then I’d love to see it in action.
There was some progress made this week, especially with fine tuning the letters and revising those letters I’m not so sure about.
The one letter I’m struggling with is Aleph (א), I can’t seem to find the right balance.
I got a lot of feedback and many good tips, thank you everybody 🙂
I’m doing my best to take them all into account.
I was trying to add some Hebrew glyphs to a font file, but the free font creation programs I tried (FontForge and the Demo of TypeTool) are not so friendly, it will take some more time to do.
Links to v0.8:
Illustrator CS4 File
I opened an issue on launchpad and it was added to the Ubuntu Font Family Wishlist queue.
As an added bonus Mark Shuttleworth himself gave his blessing to this design effort (!)
It was a fun mail to start the day with 🙂
I want to quote one thing he wrote:
It *would* be useful if you could start building up a Hebrew community that can provide early and accurate feedback to DM when they start the Hebrew design process.